Friday, March 20, 2020

Lesson 5 - Mr. P. Reading "Ghosts," Act III With Analysis



Poem of the Day: “No Makeup” by Sharon Olds

Today's Lesson: Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen - Mr. P. Reading Act III with Analysis.  You may add comments and/or ask questions if you'd further feedback. See text and film below for additional learning expereinces.

Reminder:  Look at last Vlog for important info.  See brief excerpt, below:

The State of Massachusetts has set guidelines about our learning experiences. At the time of this posting, there will be:
  • No directed curriculum
  • No deadlines
  • No graded assignments

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mr. Pellerin! Thanks for the reading, I really like all the emotion you put into it! For some reason, the more comical parts of this play remind me of the show The Office. Maybe it is because the idiot with maybe not always the best of intentions (Micheal Scott) always ends up ok in the end. Also they both use a lot of irony. I really feel for Mrs. Alving, never more than when she says, " You may rely on that, my dear and only boy! I have nothing in the world to live for but you alone." I said out loud to myself "jesus christ" because it is just so frustrating that she can't see her worth is more than her relation to the men in her life. I would be interested in reading The Enemy of The People with the readings on the vlog. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the response, Leah! I, too, feel for Mrs. Alving. That was his purpose, for us to have empathy for Mrs. Alving - the adult Nora Helmer. I will post "An Enemy of the People" Book Club post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just now getting to this after some college craziness, but I appreciate the reading! The whole play is such a mix of emotions it is brilliant. I do feel badly for Mrs. Alving. She tried so hard to make things better for people and herself and ended up getting none of it. The whole incest part reminded me of The Kite Runner, which I actually read for the first time a few months back. Society and it's expectations has a hard grip on the world as we know it. I don't know how we can be rid of that or if we even want to. Thanks again for the reading! I will be checking out the following posts now. I have been keeping busy reading It by Stephen King, not the most academic read, but it is very long and enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete